Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Get Up, Stand Up

Yesterday morning I woke up early, went for a run along the Mediterranean, simply "The Sea" to the locals, did an Insanity workout, took a lukewarm shower, and then ate a healthy home cooked breakfast.
Having already purchased our mobile phones, some groceries for the apartment (piso), and done some laundry earlier in the week, my roommate, Amy, and I decided to extend our productivity into the afternoon. With only one more "to do" on our list, getting wi-fi (pronounced wee-fee in these parts),we had to travel to Catalunya. It's only a 1/2 mile walk to the nearest Metro station where we hopped on the Yellow train (L4), rode it 2 stops, switched to the Red train (L1), and 1 stop later we arrived at our destination. 
Up and out of the station and then across the street, I entered Placa de Catalunya. This large square is known for its fountains, statues, mosaic decorations and flocks of pigeons that gather in it's center. 
Although I did see a shit-ton of pigeons, the statues and fountains were overlooked by the images that were the inspiration for today's post. 

  
I saw graffiti, posters, banners, numerous small tents, and tree houses made from cardboard and rope with mattresses in them. I heard voices through megaphones that I didn't understand, but could sense their passion. I began to realize that the scruffy group of people camping out were relatively young, most looked like they were close to my age. I quickly learned that this is one of many locations throughout Spain where individuals of my generation gathered to protest the country's political system and economic crisis.
Moved by what I had seen, and all my to-dos now ta-das, I went home and immediately began to look up info on the protests. (ok, almost immediately, my spoiled ass checked out the ol' FB first. I'm not proud.) 







I learned that the unemployment rate in Spain is 20% and that among it's youth, that number is somewhere around 45%. The individuals I saw, feel that their government has failed them and their protests are the result of restless minds and simply little else for them to do.(feeling shitty about whining about your boss and co-workers yet?) Oh, and did I mention that many of the unemployed have one or more university degrees? Those who get hired are usually on 6 mo. contracts at low wages and have nothing to do with their training or education.


 

I have been deeply moved by these hard headed individuals who are civil in their efforts to change their world. I am grateful for the opportunity to witness it first hand. Who knows, my next post could be from a treehouse!!!!


1 comment:

  1. Love your post. Very interesting. What a great experience. Seeing things like that sure make you appreciate the small things in life.
    Take care of yourself, xxxxxooooo Mom

    ReplyDelete